Sunday, April 17, 2011

Weekend D.I.Y. Apartment Therapy

OK! So I pretty much have my apartment decorated, but the bedroom was lacking personality! We got a really cute comforter set from Crate and Barrel at our wedding shower, but the color has been extremely difficult for me to decorate around. Here is a picture of an edge of the comforter. This was mainly a picture of my dog, but it shows the color of the comforter in the top part of the picture! :-/

So, after searching the internet for several ideas, I decided to tackle my lampshades, which were originally black and boring.




First, I cleaned the lampshades with a lint roller.

Then, I chose a shape from the computer and traced it onto newspaper. I decided to use newspaper for a shabby chic way to bring more gray into the bedroom. I chose a bird for my shape. It matches some other birds I have throughout the apartment.

I cut out several bird shapes. I placed 3 birds on one of the shades and 4 on the other. This is totally personal preference!!

I used Mod Podge to glue my newspaper birdies to the lamp shade.
Here is a picture of one of the lamp shades. They turned out super contemporary, which is exactly what I was going for!

The next project I tackled was a jewelry tree. I recently bought this on sale at Target for $4.88! I knew I needed to bring in a little more of my yellow color from the comforter, so I decided to spray paint this beauty a fabulous solar yellow!!


The last project I decided to start this weekend was my mirror. All of the furniture in the bedroom is black, so my black mirror was adding a little too much darkness in the room for me!! I used my newspaper idea to decoupage the mirror. This took me two evenings and turned out great! Its gives the room a even more contemporary flair!

Now that my bedroom is slowly taking on a little bit of personality, I am starting to feel better! Thanks for following this journey with me!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment